An Opportunity to be Heard
Finals: Sunday, January 20, 2019, 2 PM
818 North Market Street
Wilmington, DE 19801
YWCA Delaware and Christ Church Christiana Hundred are pleased to present
MLK Voice 4 Youth
For Delaware High School Youth (grades 9 -12)
2018 First Place Winner Kemuel Harding
Speak up! Share How Dr. King’s life and work speaks to your dreams.
- Your voice will be heard!
- Win – $2,000 1st place, $1,000 2nd place, $500 3rd place.
- Tap into your favorite creative means of expression whether it’s poetry, rap, or speech to deliver you message with creative freedom.
- Share your ideas and connect with community leaders, educators and government officials
- Attend a writing or presentation workshop with area experts who offer guidance in preparing and delivering your message*
- Cultivate skills that will serve you academically and professionally in future pursuits
- Record your presentation and share your creative work for college applications
- Service hours available on request
- Social media
- Gun Reform
- Health Care
- Fair Housing
- Immigration and DACA
- Guaranteed Income
Online registration opens – September 21, 2018 (International Peace Day)
To attend workshops at no charge* register by – Friday November 30, 2018
Presentation workshop: Saturday December 8, 2018 at Christ Church Christiana Hundred, 505 E. Buck Rd.
Writing workshop: Saturday December 8, 2018 at Christ Church Christiana Hundred.
Writing/Presentation Workshop in Dover (place and time to be confirmed)
Registration closes – Thursday, December 20, 2018
Semi Finals – Dover/Friday January 11 and Wilmington/Saturday January 12
Finals – Sunday January 20, 2019, 2 p.m. at the baby grand Wilmington, Delaware
Contest Rules & Regulations
- Message must be original and relate to the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Contestants must have an adult sponsor/mentor (21 years or older) to support them as they prepare to compete.
- BONUS MARKS WILL BE GIVEN FOR MEMORIAZATION.
- Presentations are to be approximately 5 minutes long. Presentations less than 4 ó minutes or more than 5 minutes may be disqualified
- Finalists must provide an electronic copy of their presentation.
- Finalists are not permitted to leave the stage during their presentations.
- Audio, costumes, and props are NOT permitted.
- Past first place winners of the MLK VOICE 4 YOUTH are not eligible to compete.
- The decisions of the judges are final.
For more information contact: Jane Rubini
firstname.lastname@example.org / 302.655.3379